This is Part 2 in a series of articles based on the Nov. 14 Erie Sales Club workshop. At that workshop, Mel Hirst, Vice President of Sales Promotions and Agency Relations at Erie Insurance and a 30-year sales veteran (pictured here), shared several nuggets of wisdom with the attendees. We recently featured 10 great quotes from Mel. Here are 10 more of his best:
1."In any organization, nothing happens until something is sold. You don't have support staff unless salespeople are selling."
2. "Find a way to fill a need, and you'll ultimately sell."
3. "You're not always going to be able to overcome the objection. Just try to."
4. "Sometimes you have to do things you don't like to be successful. For salespeople, that often means planning."
5. "Ask people how they want to be contacted. Don't assume or do what works best for you. The method of how you contact people is increasing in importance."
6. "Remember your customers, not just your prospects. Conduct at least an annual review of existing customers through a conversation with the customer."
7. "Find the best salespeople and they will carry the ball for you."
8. On sales techniques: "Find your own thing and do it."
9. "If you dread what you do, find something else."
10. "Forget your failures. You need thick skin to be in sales."
To read Part 1 of of this series, click here. Stay tuned to ErieSalesClub.com for more sales advice for serious sales professionals.
The Erie Sales Club is a joint effort of four leading local businesses: Jameson Publishing, Marsha Marsh Real Estate Services, VertMarkets, and Howland Peterson Consulting.